When posting support questions on the LEAP web site, we have found the web site How to Ask Questions the Smart Way to be very useful resource.
We recommend that everyone posting support questions on the LEAP web site take the time to read it. But please be warned: it is written for hackers. It contains some cursing and is generally not very polite.
We've listed a few key points from the guide here:
1. Before asking a technical question please do the following:
- Try to find an answer by searching the LEAP discussion forum.
- Try to find an answer by reading the help file (or by pressing F1 anywhere in LEAP for context-sensitive help).
- Try to find an answer by searching the web.
- Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
- Try asking a skilled friend.
2. When you do ask your question:
- Give a precise and sufficiently detailed description of the problem you are facing. Please don't just tell us the LEAP "isn't working"! That isn't enough information to be able to help you. If you ask a vague or imprecise question, you may not receive a reply.
- Provide exact steps for reproducing the problem, including which screens you visit and which buttons you pressed.
- Tell us if the problem happened when using the LEAP web site, during download of LEAP or NEMO, during installation of LEAP or NEMO, or while running LEAP or NEMO.
- Include all required supporting information including the exact version of LEAP you are using (e.g. 2020.1.2) and information about your computer system. The best way to do that is to copy and paste the text from LEAP's Help: About screen.
- If you think it will help us to debug a problem, send us your LEAP area file. Always send these as ".leap" data files (created using LEAP's backup function).
Please do not send .zip or .RAR files. These files are generally too large to send as email attachments, so we reccommend sending them as a link using Dropbox.
- Describe the problem's symptoms, rather than your interpretations and theories.
3. A few other useful tips for requesting tech support
- Please do not ask questions that have already been answered on the forum.
- Take your time. Do not expect to be able to solve a complicated problem with just a few seconds of Googling. Please read and understand the manual first.
- Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions may not get answered. The more you can help us to track down a problem, the more likely we will be able to help you.
- Beware of asking the wrong question. If you ask one that is based on faulty assumptions, this will only delay getting actual support.
- Please be aware that we have only limited tech support resources. We can try and help you understand LEAP or fix it if there is a problem, but we cannot design a whole study for you or help you design and write your thesis.